An Overwhelmed Heart


In my daily devotions, I have been reading through the book of Psalms, along with another New Testament book. I read through Psalm 61 this past morning, and the second verse stuck out to me. Psalm 61:2 says, “From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.” 


I don’t know about you, but I feel the struggle to overcome my emotions. It is easy to get stressed out, exhausted, and just plain worn out.  Life is incredibly overwhelming at times for all of us. It is easy to get discouraged in a world that is bogged down with sin and pain. 


However, it doesn’t sound like much has changed since David’s day. According to many scholars, David wrote this Psalm when he was far from his home. In the midst of his loneliness,  David calls out to God in prayer. David had already proven God’s faithfulness over and over again, but he kept going back to it. Why? He had found that the only true restoration is through Christ, who will set our feet on the solid rock when we slip up.


David also reminds us of the great importance to always go to God in prayer. As humans, we tend to let prayer be our last resort, however it should truly be our first. We often fail at this, because the devil is always trying to distract us, and we fail to recognize that prayer truly is powerful.


 If we don’t bring our everyday mundane and emotional needs to Him, then we are essentially leaving Him out of our lives entirely. 


When we take our strained minds to Christ, He can stabilize us. God can comfort us. God can deliver us. God can restore you. Psalm 23:3 says, “He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.” 


Christ is the only one who can bring you peace when you are frazzled and out of breath. He can balance your emotions when you are upset. He can, and he will. Without Him, we stumble. With Him, we may stumble, but He will always be there to steady us.


I know this was a bit on the shorter side, but I hope you were able to get something from it! May you find assurance and restoration in Christ this week!


Comments

Popular Posts